Buying with a Purpose
1. Gifts of Hope- Sponsor a Family or Child
- Bowen's Hope- Sponsor a Family from the Phoenix Children's Hospital whose child has kidney disease. Sponsoring a family allows the family more time with their special needs child.
- Compassion International- Sponsor a child living in poverty. Sponsoring a child helps break the cycle of poverty, of child labor and gives a child an opportunity for an education.
- Samaritan's Purse- Help families and people all around the world. For Christmas they collect Shoeboxes from November 16-23. Fill a shoeboxes with needed items and Samaritan's Purse will send to a child in need. We do this every year and it easy, fun and brings hope and joy to a child in another country in poverty.
2. Shop Online at Smile.Amazon.com- Make a difference when you shop Amazon.com. Designate your favorite charity and Amazon will donate .5% proceeds to your charity of choice. I have chosen the PKD Foundation and the Phoenix Children's hospital Foundation.
3. Buy Christmas ornaments and Stockings at Feed My Starving Children. Show Love and Give Back. FMSC has hand made Christmas ornaments, stockings and gifts that help feed starving children all over the world. Buy gifts from FMSC and give more than a great gift! I love their ornaments!
4. Buy Handmade Jewelry-
- Bowen's Hope bracelets made by mudlove.com. Proceeds benefits kidney disease kids and their families at the Phoenix Children's Hospital as well as provides clean drinking water to families in Africa.
- Mudlove.com bracelets made with love. Design your own bracelets, pick your word and color band. You can make a statement and serve a purpose at the same time. Each purchase provides clean drinking water to families in Africa.
- 31 Bits.com or Amazima.com- I love these companies! You have to check out their websites! These companies help educate and empower women in the communities of Uganda. All jewelry is handmade. Each purchase helps break the cycle of poverty and gives the women the opportunity to learn a skill for sustainable living.
- The Giving Keys- Make a statement and a difference in the life of a homeless person in the United States when buying a giving key. The giving keys employ those transitioning out of homelessness. Pick a word or words stamped onto a key, wear your key, then pay it forward to someone who needs the message more than you.
5. Buy Clothes and Hats- from Krochet Kids Intl. I love their hats! Clothes and Hats are handmade by those living in poverty. Krochet Kids Intl. helps empower communities to learn a skill for sustainable living and break the cycle of poverty.
6. Buying Coffee- Refuge Coffee Co. is a non-profit organization in Clarkston, Georgia that helps the thousands of displaced refugees from 145 countries and 761 ethnic groups where there are over 60 languages spoken in one square mile. This company employees refugees, teaches them a skill for sustainable living so they can go from surviving to thriving.
7. The Gift of Life- These organizations help give the gifts of clean drinking water and food which millions of people do not have.
- Living Water International- Give the gift of clean drinking water to the 663 million people living without it
- Buy Fair Trade- Buying products that are certified fair trade can help end the cycle of poverty. Visit their website to learn what are fair trade products and make a difference in thousands of lives.
- Compassion International- Helps you give the gift of medical care and/or provide chickens, goats, and/cows to families to help them sustain life.
- Rice and Beans Ministry- is an organization that helps provide food and education to over 40 communities in Costa Rica. For $12 you can feed a family of 4 for a week.
- Feed My Starving Children- Volunteer to pack food for hungry children at a local FMSC location and/or donate to feed hungry children who are without food all over the world.
"It is our responsibility as humans to take care of each other. It's our duty as humans to care for people when we are weak and broken." - Caitlin Crosby founder of The Giving Keys
"Being conscious of what you support can impact entire communities around the world" by Sophia Bush.
Lives are changed when we do small things with great love (revised quote Mother Theresa). We don't have to wait until it's Christmas to do something kind for one another. We can be the difference everyday, by what we do, how we respond and through what we buy. If every American bought one fair trade item or an item that is made by those in poverty, we could end the cycle of poverty Today.
"Be the key to someone else's breakthrough" this Christmas (quote by Caitlyn Crosby).
Give a gift from the heart and make a difference.